Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Connections


     Every so often an artist of some sort will visit my studio and want to show me how smart they are, maybe even how much more they know about painting than me.  Art somehow needs to be a competition for so many of us.  Who am I to say? Maybe they do know more about painting than I do.  I just don't compete.  Last week, an artist shared these words with me, "Your drawings and studies are far more successful than your larger work."  To which I replied, "That would depend on what the definition of success is."

     If there is one right way to create artwork, I have not seen it yet.  I love the variety of answers I see. On the flip side, of that same day, I had a conversation with an artist that lasted nearly two hours.  This was an artist who I respect for her work, her person, and for the high example she sets.


Narrows Performance
     Two nights ago, I spoke with a young musician who found a connection to my Drawn to Music Project.  He had been studying to become a Dr.. but his passion won out, as he had dropped out of school to focus his attention to his musical journey.  He spoke from the heart, reminding me of a time when my waistline was less than my inseam, and mt hair had yet to become salted.  His energy and drive were a reflection of my earlier dreams.  It was good to feel that again.  I gave him a print he admired of two musicians in
Mid-Town Breakdown
Central Park literally playing for coin. Last night, a man who collects paintings themed "somewhat more conservatively" than my work, made some interesting comments.  This one in particular, stayed with me.  "You don't simply distort your shapes for the sake of distortion, they are abstracted with purpose.  I see movement in your figures and a life that does not come across in a traditional portrait.  And your boats, for instance, would never sail on any ocean I have ever seen, but within the context of your paintings, I can't see them any other way.  Given my usual tastes, I should not like this work at all, but I find myself loving it for so many reasons."


     I don't know if he will come back to add to his collection.  He said he would, and if the real world were not so insistent, it would not matter if he did.  His words were strong payment for the time he spent with my work,and for the food he supplied to my creative energy.  The muse needs to me fed as well as my belly, my soul, or my mind.
At Rest (detail)

     The opportunities to connect to people through my art work are priceless.  I began my career as a very private artist.  I worked in a secluded studio, and somewhat dreaded the openings receptions for my exhibits.  I worked for the sake and need of the muse and exhibited as necessary.  My time with an open studio at the Narrows Center has changed all of that.  The connections I make and the chance for folks to share my work in context has been a transformative experience for me.  I like to think it has been so for my visitors as well.

Drawn to Music Project Paintings

Taylespun Prints and Reproductions

No comments:

Post a Comment